Latest News, Articles and Monthly Tips
- Social isolation in rural Ireland caused in association with Covid-19.
- COVID-19 will place a value on food security in the future from our beef and dairy farms.
- Six-week extension in the winter housing period causing significant herd health problems in County Kerry.
- Early post calving womb infections will decrease both milk production and the chances of getting your cows back in calf.
- Priestland Holstein herd presenting a cow with projected 305-day yield of 20,000 on twice a day milking for expo show in 12 days’ time.
- Milk recording will become a mandatory process for purposes of milk sales in conjunction with antibiotic usage for dry cow therapy
- Rearing calves using cow’s milk with inbuilt pasteurization to protect against risk of Johne’s disease.
- Housing environment – an integral feature of heifers coming out of puberty.
- Cows scanned pregnant carrying twins can often mummify one of the calves and a single calf can be born.
- Herd health problems increase dramatically in spring calving herds as cows have to be housed for extended period after calving.