TIPS FOR THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER 2014
1. Scan your cows now to: identify empty cows, accurately age pregnancies and identify those cows carrying twins.
2. Identify cows in poor body condition and those with poor locomotion score. Supplement diets with concentrates or dry cows off early if BCS needs to be improved. Ensure your hoof trimmer has the correct expertise to rectify feet problems.
3. It is essential to vaccinate against salmonella now for spring calving dairy herds.
4. Hoose (lungworm) Is prevalent in many dairy herds. If there are signs of coughing check if hoose treatment is required.
5. Be proactive to avoid a superlevy. Dry off cows early in lactation. First calvers, empty cows carrying twins and those in poor BCS should be prioritised.
6. Are your weanling and in calf heifers achieving target weights. Supplement grass based diets with concentrates to sub-groups needing “catch-up” weight gain.