TIPS FOR THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER 2012
1.Ensure cows that are now six to seven months pregnant, but in poor body condition are prepared for drying off (per day). It will pay to feed 3kg of good quality ration supplemented with minerals meeting your herd requirements.
2. Silage analysis essential to determine concentrate and minerals required.
3. You need a BCS of 3.0 when cows are seven months pregnant and maintain this until cows calve.
4. Vaccination programme for Salmonella are warranted now if there is a case history or your herd is at risk because of either poor BCS or poor quality diets.
5. Take a bulk milk sample before cows are dried off to assess the presence of infectious diseases in your herd. This should be done in conjunction with your vet.
6. Undersized in-calf heifers need to be separated, fed additional concentrates to reach target weights.