TIPS FOR THE MONTH OF MAY 2012
12th April 2012
- Focus on reproduction now for Spring calving in 2013.
- Heat detection dependent on fit cows. Supplement grass based diets with minerals, vitamins and concentrates to meet demands of milk production and requirements for normal oestrus cycles.
- If you have not used our prebreed reproductive assessment of your dairy herd, it is now time to scan those cows greater than 12 days calved which have not been detected in heat.
- Oestrus synchronisation in maiden heifers should be considered. This is paramount if heifers are on an outside farm. Scanning can identify and plan mate your heifers.
- Late-calving cows need to be scanned from 12 days calved onward to ensure they are given the maximum number of opportunities to establish pregnancy in a restricted window of opportunity.